are cheap old slr's any good?

A collection of members non astro photographs.

are cheap old slr's any good?

Postby westville99 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:47 pm

Hi everyone,

was reading up on the starizona website, about their hyperstar product
https://starizona.com/hyperstar/

anyway it costs a fortune ( over 700 quid for me) and they have two images on the page above showing off what it can do.

basically first image took 60 minutes to expose, and the next just 90 seconds with the aforementioned hyperstar adapter.

I've been on the page a dozen times but never noticed the finer points of the images, they were both taken by an old canon SLR.

Canon EOS 20Da to be exact.

A quick google reveals its a 2005 model, and i can buy a bare second hand unit for just 45 quid!
It's only 8mp, suppose why its so cheap now.

though if your taking dozens of images for stacking perhaps this is no bad thing?

I dont have an slr, or astrocam yet. and for the cost of a high end zwo I was concidering canon's dedicated "Ra" range SLR's.
Then it could be used for photography too, though they have many zero's in their price tags! ( this hobby could prove to be quite ruinous! )

what do you guys think?

cheers.

Hi, you are viewing as a guest, You can only see this first post in this topic. if you sign up you get access to other goodies you can't even see as a guest, including video tutorials on imaging and processing, scope modifications and even member discounts on gear!

So, give us a try, what have you got to lose! Oh, and if you stay, when you reach 50 posts you get access to MORE goodies! What are you waiting for!

westville99
Nebula

Re: are cheap old slr's any good?

Postby paraman » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:06 pm

paraman
Global Moderator

Re: are cheap old slr's any good?

Postby Demon » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:28 am

Demon
Main Sequence

Location: North Yorkshire (Bortle 4) When it's not cloudy and rainy...

Return to PHOTOGRAPHY