Advanced Newtonian Collimation Idea

For the discussion of posted tutorials so as not to break up the threads. Just start a thread here with the same name as the tutorial.

TUTORIAL DISCUSSION

Why a tutorial discussion section? Well, if a person is posting a tutorial thread in segments, the tendency is for people to post questions in-between. This causes the tutorial to become convoluted.

So, if you post a tutorial, especially if you intend it to be several messages long (ie, in steps) please also post a thread here with" <name of tutorial> discussion" as the subject.

Thanks

Re: Advanced Newtonian Collimation Idea

Postby Dion » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:26 am

Cirrusc74 wrote:Hi,

so newbie question here, having just got a newtonian, and I am familiar with the normal collimation techniques using a cheshire or laser, but having just watched the video a couple of times now, i'm scratching my head a bit..

so after using the camera to accurately centre the secondary mirror to present a circular image under the focuser, you then in the next stage you then just move the secondary to get the primary centre spot in the centre of the image...

doesn't that defeat the object of getting a properly centered secondary for accurate collimation? undoing the fine tuning youve just done or am i missing something...

Also take into consideration I did this, 'years' ago and very few people were pushing the boundaries like this, also note it is titled 'idea'. I have since been contacted by a couple of quite respected people who have said this whole 'idea' is actually bang on. Firstly you are aligning the secondary to the focuser as accurately as is possible to the layman, many shop bought reflectors will be a fair amount out in that alone. Also bear in mind that you did this simply using brain, eye and a reasonable, but not scientifically built webcam. After centering the Primary and then adjusting secondary after this, don't forget that you may be only moving the secondary by tiny amounts that may not be detectable by the eye.

Some of the subjects in the shed are getting old now but there are people in here who were seriously pushing the boundaries back then, including imaging deep space objects with webcams!

Hi, you are viewing as a guest, You can only see this first post in this topic. if you sign up you get access to other goodies you can't even see as a guest, including video tutorials on imaging and processing, scope modifications and even member discounts on gear!

So, give us a try, what have you got to lose! Oh, and if you stay, when you reach 50 posts you get access to MORE goodies! What are you waiting for!

Dion
Site Admin

Postby stevo58 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:32 am

stevo58
Lurker

Postby Dion » Tue May 04, 2021 10:32 am

Dion
Site Admin

Postby carastro » Tue May 04, 2021 11:39 am