Avalon mount with SBIG first pics

For images of members equipment (no way to describe it without double entendres!)

Avalon mount with SBIG first pics

Postby PrjCole » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:03 pm

Hi all :)

Taken first photo's of the Avalon fast reverse mount today. Well it has been in it's box for a few months. But I've been away for a while in the UK and got home on Sunday.

Initial impression is it heavy and rather elegant, It's also RED so goes faster :lol:
I took the opportunity when I got it from Ian King to buy the Avalon pillar extension, It does add that extra 8 inches above tripod. As I am at 35 degree North the CW is situated fairly low to the mount legs without it. I need it.
Plus it looks sexy as hell :))

The tripod is a standard SW Heavy duty one, It's white so may paint it Red to match mount, I haven't decided yet :lol: ( decided to keep it White, I like the contrast )

What I don't like are the 4x 10mm plastic grip top hand tightening bolts that hold it all together, I will replace those asap as I have no intention of mounting my scope and CCD rig on the mount as it stands. I will also add some Teflon washers so I don't mar the finish of the mount.

Weather at the moment is a nice 22c, Pretty constant day and night, But it is over cast, So in a few weeks it should be back to wall to wall clear days and nights for the next 6-7 months. ( I have incurred the wrath of the weather god, It's sunny and bright during the day, At night it's wet and windy. Sorry every one :lol: )

Starlight Express filter wheel with 36mm drop in Astrodons, Filters were dusty when I took them out of sealed cases and paper.
Filters held in by the small white screws and washers, 2nd pick shows you a screw hole and how tight they are to filters,
Took me a good 45 minutes to get them fitted. Very stressy doing it.

What it looks like back in carousel, Clock wise, L R G B, Then Ha SII OIII

This is scope all set up, I will need a new spacer made as this setting is 60mm to chip, It should be 54.7mm from Field Flattener and I cant get it any smaller with what I have in M48 thread, Fully loaded it is very heavy, So once it is outside it will stay there. I'm thinking of having some leg clamps made so I can bolt it into concrete and still be portable.

So that's what it looks like, Be even more pleased when it's all properly spaced and ready for first light.

Now all I have to do is install the software, Wire it all up and hope like hell it all works.

Peter

Hi, you are viewing as a guest, You can only see this first post in this topic. if you sign up you get access to other goodies you can't even see as a guest, including video tutorials on imaging and processing, scope modifications and even member discounts on gear!

So, give us a try, what have you got to lose! Oh, and if you stay, when you reach 50 posts you get access to MORE goodies! What are you waiting for!

Last edited by PrjCole on Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PrjCole
Main Sequence

Re: Avalon mount first pics

Postby Gedan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:50 pm

Gedan
Black Dwarf

Postby swag72 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:38 pm

swag72
Black Dwarf

Postby hemihaggis » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:31 pm