Condensation in a Home Observatory

For images of members equipment (no way to describe it without double entendres!)

Condensation in a Home Observatory

Postby wayne » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:34 pm

Hi.
I have a Pulsar 2.2 meter Observatory in my garden. During the cold winter nights, I have noticed condensation is collecting between the concrete and the underside of the waterproof sheet. If I lift the sheet and clean up the water, it stays dry, even if there is torrential rain outside.
I am coming to the conclusion the water is caused because the surface temperature of the concrete pad falling below the dew point of the air inside the Obsy. I have applied about ten coats of concrete sealer and I have used silicon sealer on all of the joints in the Observatory. And, in addition to the weather seal at the foot of the Obsy (which was applied by Pulsar) I have added a second weather seal. I have also painted the foot of my Obsy with waterproof masonry paint. I am totally certain the water is not getting in underneath the Observatory when it rains. This water collection has been a long on-going battle since the first time winter closed in, and repeats every winter. If I remove the waterproof Tarp, I stay dry.
I am awaiting delivery of a roll of cork. My plan is to lay the cork on top of the concrete pad. My theory is that if I reduce the sudden temperature change between the surface of the concrete and the air inside the Observatory, I can keep the internal air above dew point. I wonder if anyone else has had similar issues, and I would ask what they have done to combat it??
I used a dehumidifier last year but even in economy power mode, it used a colossal amount of energy. I am currently trying a small space heater which comes on only when the air temperature is below 5 degrees. It is working, but, again, I would prefer a less power hungry method of controlling the condensation. I have read some people have put a solar fan inside their Observatory with some success, but I balk at the prospect of drilling a big hole in the wall of my Obsy to accommodate such a beast.
I have applied a layer of insulative bubblewrap to the walls with aluminium foil on each side (as one would use behind a wall radiator). This is not so much to keep the heat in, but to reduce the rate at which the Observatory cools down.
I live in an area where there is a lot of clay in the soil, and rain does not easily soak into the ground. I am also prone to fog in the early mornings in the Summer months.
Ideas and suggestions appreciated.
Wayne

Hi, you are viewing as a guest, You can only see this first post in this topic. if you sign up you get access to other goodies you can't even see as a guest, including video tutorials on imaging and processing, scope modifications and even member discounts on gear!

So, give us a try, what have you got to lose! Oh, and if you stay, when you reach 50 posts you get access to MORE goodies! What are you waiting for!

wayne
Nebula

Re: Condensation in a Home Observatory

Postby clearestimage » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:58 am

clearestimage
Protostar

Postby rwg » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:23 pm

Last edited by rwg on Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rwg
Black Dwarf

Postby Delf » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:37 pm

Delf
Nebula

Postby BlueAstra » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:53 pm

BlueAstra
Planetary Nebula

Postby wigggyy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:36 pm