Meade would have a fit !

For images of members equipment (no way to describe it without double entendres!)

Meade would have a fit !

Postby Silversmith » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:19 pm

:shock:

Completed my Summer project to adapt my Meade LT8-ACF to an Equatorial mount.

I gave myself a rule that the LT8 itself must not be modified in any way so it can be reverted to ALT/AZ at any time.

So the Original LT8 field tripod with a custom Oak Adapter plate to hold a Meade LX200 De-lux Wedge,
That in turn connected via a 2nd custom oak adapter plate to the LT8 single arm Mount.

Had all sorts of issues to deal with, not the least that up here in Orkney I'm right at the maximum latitude the wedge will support.
Next problem was the restricted clearance between the scope and the mount when in polar home position.
Had to customize a 2" 90 degree star diagonal to allow clearance for the home position (the 1.25 inch diagonal was fine, but i'm strictly 2" these days).
Then of course the Meade setup for a LT8 doesn't support a Polar mount, so can't access most of the required settings.
So I instead set it up as a LX90 polar mounted which opens up all the required settings.
Had to deal with the LT8's drive being the inverse configuration of the LX90 (sorted by inverting the ALT/DEC and AZ/RA ratios) but happily the two drives are otherwise a match in all other parameters.

So it aligns ok, Goto seems to work fine, and tracking seems good (Better than in Alt/Az mode since only one motor is driven, so only 1 source of tracking error)

What did it cost?
Puffin nuffin (an old Orkney term.. lot of Puffins here)
The Wedge I've had lying around for years (bought off Ebay cheap 7 years ago)
The adapter plates were made from the Oak carcass of an old wardrobe, suitable sealed & painted for waterproofing.

Now All I need is a dark night to really test it out with some IMAGING ... Roll n September !

Hi, you are viewing as a guest, You can only see this first post in this topic. if you sign up you get access to other goodies you can't even see as a guest, including video tutorials on imaging and processing, scope modifications and even member discounts on gear!

So, give us a try, what have you got to lose! Oh, and if you stay, when you reach 50 posts you get access to MORE goodies! What are you waiting for!

Silversmith
Protostar

Re: Meade would have a fit !

Postby Nightspore » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:03 pm

Nightspore
Planetary Nebula

Postby hemihaggis » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:08 pm

hemihaggis
Black Dwarf

Postby Bill55 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:53 pm