Elliptic and Celestial Equator

The place to kick back and talk about anything astronomy related that doesn't fit into other categories.

Elliptic and Celestial Equator

Postby iangoodwin » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:53 am

Good morning,
I am confused and wonder if you can help me. I am aware that the vernal Equinox defines 0h for RA. I understand that this equinox occurs when the celestial equator intersect the sun's elliptic (in March). However, when i look at the Sun's ecliptic today (7th Jan 2021) and the celestial equator on the software programme Sellarium they show as intersecting later today. It's not the equinox today, so my question is, why are they showing as intersecting today please? I am clearly missing something in my understanding, or have I set the incorrect parameters in the software programme?

Hi, you are viewing as a guest, You can only see this first post in this topic. if you sign up you get access to other goodies you can't even see as a guest, including video tutorials on imaging and processing, scope modifications and even member discounts on gear!

So, give us a try, what have you got to lose! Oh, and if you stay, when you reach 50 posts you get access to MORE goodies! What are you waiting for!

iangoodwin
Lurker

Return to ASTRO LOUNGE