Finally "Hello" from Germany

Tell us a little about yourself.

Finally "Hello" from Germany

Postby AstroChris » Tue May 21, 2019 5:53 am

Hey folks!
I wander around this forum for a few weeks and finally manage to say hello :-)
I was directed to this forum via the YouTube astronomyshed videos (very helpful) and instantly felt home here.
It seems like a calm and peaceful place here :-)

I am from central Germany. Light conditions are not very good here and nether is the weather but that's the challenge i think. It's not that it's raining all day long but the forecast is just so unpredictable in this area of Europe. Was once in Australia or North America and the weather always seemd to change on longer scales. Here i Germany it's all about clouds and it's raining 5 min then 10 min blue sky and then clouds again...
It's very funny how weather and forecast gets part of your daily focus right instantaneously if you start this journey. My wife is always amused if i try to read forecast for the next ten days ahead.

How i entered this road of astro? I studied physics and am naturally very interested in astro-related stuff. I do know "much" about the underlying principles but never looked at the stunning world above in person. Then i stumbled across an old telescope from family. It happened to be a old reflector on alt-az 7cm mirror from bresser. I don't know the age of it but it was in a quite good shape and quality. I figured out how to use it optical, recalibrated the mirrors and cleaned the heavily dusted prime mirror (thanks YouTube) and then:

I saw Saturn and the rings and jupiter and the moons....

Next thing i know, i bought a bigger telescope and am now stukk in this new and amazing world.

My mantra right now is Astrophotography on a budget. I will for sure expand further down the road but today i call myself a 750/150 Newtonian reflector from skywatcher and a EQ3 pro, a old Olympus dslr and a used laptop myself and i am quite happy and quite busy with it now.

I can't dither at the moment because the dslr can't connect to anything ASCOM'ish right now. But i am working on something and will post it here :-) because that's the shed, isn't it?

Thanks to all your warm comments on my questions so far! I really like it here.

Greetings!
20190430_003032~2.jpg

Gesendet von meinem LG-H870 mit Tapatalk

Hi, you are viewing as a guest, You can only see this first post in this topic. if you sign up you get access to other goodies you can't even see as a guest, including video tutorials on imaging and processing, scope modifications and even member discounts on gear!

So, give us a try, what have you got to lose! Oh, and if you stay, when you reach 50 posts you get access to MORE goodies! What are you waiting for!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AstroChris
Red Giant

Re: Finally

Postby smerral » Tue May 21, 2019 1:46 pm

smerral
Black Dwarf

Postby pixelsaurus » Tue May 21, 2019 2:15 pm

pixelsaurus
Red Giant

Postby galileo » Tue May 21, 2019 8:22 pm