Hampshire based newbie looking to buying advice

Tell us a little about yourself.

Hampshire based newbie looking to buying advice

Postby Rhincodon » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:46 pm

Hello all - sorry for long 1st post - I am 57 next month - had a neighbor with a Meade 8 inch scope 25+ years ago that fascinated me - used to help him carry the mount & all equipment etc and sit there endlessly drinking whisky to keep warm until shouted at to come inside.

Since then - watched Kids grow up, worked too hard, got really ill - but in remission for 1 year now & want to return to the hobby with my Wife keen to get involved.

We are based on edge of the South Downs Nat park, in a spot with very little light pollution although very keen to meet/observe with others.

Lock-down has meant I will now have some more time at home rather than commuting up & down to town every day - and the past 12 months of getting back to strength health wise means i feel ready to lug 20KG + of equipment about the place again!

SO much seems to have changed - I really like the idea of being able to use technology to really accelerate finding sites and increasing knowledge.
I have a reasonable budget - but where to start on new scope?

I like the look of the Celestron Nexstar range (if I can find one) seen a very good deal on a larger SCT too - but I don't want to be put off if any of these options too complex to use - similarly if I buy something very simple will i be trading up too soon?

Binoculars and cameras i know a lot about - so have spent recent time using my better Binos studying the moon as much as is poss

Advice very welcome - Ebay too scary as I know nothing - 2nd hand would be good way to go if from a club / enthusiast maybe - or not?

Anyway views and direction will be very welcome -

Hi, you are viewing as a guest, You can only see this first post in this topic. if you sign up you get access to other goodies you can't even see as a guest, including video tutorials on imaging and processing, scope modifications and even member discounts on gear!

So, give us a try, what have you got to lose! Oh, and if you stay, when you reach 50 posts you get access to MORE goodies! What are you waiting for!

Rhincodon
Lurker

Re: Hampshire based newbie looking to buying advice

Postby paraman » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:27 pm

paraman
Global Moderator

Postby carastro » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:46 am

carastro
Black Dwarf

Postby rwillits » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:29 pm