Hello from ... well, Herts

Tell us a little about yourself.

Hello from ... well, Herts

Postby Paul - herts » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:54 am

Good morning all

I'm Paul and live in south Herts a mere stone's throw from the M25. For those not in the UK that's a daytime car park and a night-time reading light!

I have been looking at the stars on and off throughout my life but it's only recently that I have begun to actually see them - in Mallorca last year I set up a camera to take photos for a time lapse and was kind of stunned to see the Milky Way passing over the screen. I had a second attempt this summer but during an earlier month so even though I got some better images there was a bigger problem with light pollution - I didn't know that the position of the Milky Way changed throughout the year, it's up isn't it? Apparently not :(

So I've moved on to binoculars; nothing special, a pair of Hawkes that I use for birding have been adopted for looking through whilst sitting in our North facing back garden staring at the sky wondering if I can find the 'good stuff', the galaxies and clusters and nebulae...? Well, yes and no. A month or so a go I located Andromeda - locate Cassiopeia, use those 3 stars as an arrow to that bright star in Pegasus, straight up from there to the slightly less bright star then up again and left to an even less bright star, look for the one on the right that's less bright again and then try to make a triangle with Andromeda at the apex - I was so excited I set up my camera and took a photo of a soft white blur surrounded by lots of white streaks against a dark background! My sole claim to success as an astrophotographer :happydance2:

And then there was this morning. I hadn't planned on being awake at half 4, I just was. I probably wouldn't have been fully awake if I hadn't had to argue with a cat that didn't believe that my needing to use the loo was sufficient reason for him being disturbed from where he had got comfortable - yup, on the loo lid!?!

Before getting back into bed I had a look out the front. First thought, somebody's dimmed the M25! Quickly followed by I wish they would dim the 2 permanently on streetlights too. Followed by there's Orion, I wonder if I can see Gemini? Not from indoors, grab a jumper, pair of slippers, might as well take the bins, shoo the cats in to the living room, close the hallway door and sneak outside.

So it's 5am, I'm standing out front in shorts, fluffy slippers and a fleece peering through binoculars at Orion, find his belt, down from the middle star there's his sword and ... I can just about see, with my own eyes, a very soft glow that can only be the nebula I have read about WOW! :mexwave:

Then I hear noises inside, my wife is up too now. The good news is that it wasn't me who woke her.

The bad news is that one of the cats had decided that this was the appropriate time to hoik up a fur ball :crying:

So where am I? I would love to do some DSO imaging but funds are tight. I have toyed with getting a skywatcher mount, either the star adventurer or the mini wi-fi, but then realised that I would need to get a few heater too - well, first realistically. Then to image out the back hack at a tree and a jasmine climbing on an arch to gain sight of Polaris, anything in the south would need removal of the house for the same purpose.

Any suggestions? :lol:

Paul

Hi, you are viewing as a guest, You can only see this first post in this topic. if you sign up you get access to other goodies you can't even see as a guest, including video tutorials on imaging and processing, scope modifications and even member discounts on gear!

So, give us a try, what have you got to lose! Oh, and if you stay, when you reach 50 posts you get access to MORE goodies! What are you waiting for!

Paul - herts
Nebula

Re: Hello from ... well, Herts

Postby Brutie » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:56 pm

Brutie
Main Sequence

Postby galileo » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:12 pm

galileo
Black Dwarf

Postby Paul - herts » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:21 pm