M42 Orion on a SLT Alt-Az mount

For things not so close up.

M42 Orion on a SLT Alt-Az mount

Postby gassman » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:16 pm

Celestron's SLT mount is an entry level goto alt-az , I picked one of these up a few years ago along with the 127 maksutov in the package.
Its good for what it is, a bundle with OTA, Goto Alt-Az, tripod, eyepieces etc, but not really much good for AP with DSO's which is what I really wanted to try.
This year I've started collecting some eqpt to get started bit more in AP, getting there now. Its been fun with not getting all at once. Means I have a chance to familiarise and utilise stuff along the way. First was the OTA, so the Mak came off and the short refractor went on, and I made some more effort to get fixed on a DSLR setup. I like my little mirrorless Sony Nex5 so I ended up grabbing a cheap NEX5t body, doing the filter removal, and figuring an IR intervalometer to have it do its thing.
Next I've sorted the dew control, focus motor, and some LP filtering. Whilst adding these bits I've been messing about and going back to M42 to see what better I could do, also trying to use any clear nights to get acquianted with the scope and the rest of it, also make some start into post processsing.

This is where I've got so far with it. not a good time to go for orion since I had only a short window each night to grab some data but still, over 3 good evenings I grabbed 57 x 60s subs which were usable. A good fraction, maybe up to 50% get trashed due to the mount, but even at 60s exposures I can still harvest enough good ones and gather them together to have something to try and process.
DSS does it for me in managing to derotate and stack the results, and Im still trying to figure how to turn that data into better images, there is quite a lot to figure out and try.

Hi, you are viewing as a guest, You can only see this first post in this topic. if you sign up you get access to other goodies you can't even see as a guest, including video tutorials on imaging and processing, scope modifications and even member discounts on gear!

So, give us a try, what have you got to lose! Oh, and if you stay, when you reach 50 posts you get access to MORE goodies! What are you waiting for!

gassman
Nebula

Re: M42 Orion on a SLT Alt-Az mount

Postby carastro » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:11 pm

carastro
Black Dwarf

Return to OBSERVING AND IMAGING: WIDEFIELD