Where to begin?

For those who observe with two eyes.

Where to begin?

Postby mlwtt159 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:17 am

I’ve always had an interest in stars etc but live in an urban area and have few opportunities to see much and my knowledge is limited to identifying the Plough, Orion, Pleiades, Cassiopeia and I think that’s about it…and the moon of course. My partner has completely surprised me with a pair of 20x80 binoculars (Celestron SkyMaster), which is great, but where to start to make the most of this extravagant and unexpected gift. We are going to the Faroes in March to see the eclipse (cloud permitting) and I know that I cannot view the eclipse without some sort of filter (I understand Baader sells film which can be used to cut to size to cover the lenses). It is also going to be an opportunity to see the night sky without light pollution. I will, of course, read up on what to see beyond the four listed about, but there is so much information out there and so much up there…so I wonder if anyone has any advice they can give a complete novice with only six weeks before needing to use the new binns. Thanks.

Hi, you are viewing as a guest, You can only see this first post in this topic. if you sign up you get access to other goodies you can't even see as a guest, including video tutorials on imaging and processing, scope modifications and even member discounts on gear!

So, give us a try, what have you got to lose! Oh, and if you stay, when you reach 50 posts you get access to MORE goodies! What are you waiting for!

mlwtt159
Lurker

Re: Where to begin?

Postby carastro » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:59 am

Last edited by carastro on Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carastro
Black Dwarf

Postby galileo » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:16 pm

galileo
Black Dwarf

Postby mlwtt159 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:59 am

mlwtt159
Lurker

Return to OBSERVATION: BINOCULARS