Are Saturn's moons visible with binoculars?

For those who observe with two eyes.

Are Saturn's moons visible with binoculars?

Postby Pizzavan » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:29 am

Last night (August 24th 2021) I used 15x70 binoculars to observe Saturn and I could see what looked like three moons, two on the left and one on the right but further away, all in line. I wasn't sure if these were stars so I looked again tonight reasoning that Saturn would have moved but if they were stars they would have remained in the same place. Tonight I could see four 'moons', but this time there were two on the right quite close together and close to Saturn with two on the left much further away. Could these really have been Saturn's moons and could they really have been visible with 15x70 binoculars? I am in South Wales, UK, and was viewing at about 9:30 to 10:00 pm.

On second thoughts it could have been Jupiter that I was observing! However, my question is still relevant - should it be possible to see some of Jupiter's moons using 15x70 binoculars?

Hi, you are viewing as a guest, You can only see this first post in this topic. if you sign up you get access to other goodies you can't even see as a guest, including video tutorials on imaging and processing, scope modifications and even member discounts on gear!

So, give us a try, what have you got to lose! Oh, and if you stay, when you reach 50 posts you get access to MORE goodies! What are you waiting for!

Pizzavan
Lurker

Return to OBSERVATION: BINOCULARS