Another Section?

The place where we let you know stuff about this board.

Another Section?

Postby Dion » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:45 pm

This is something I've been thinking about for a while and held back because it's open to being abused, not intentionally abused, so, maybe 'misused' would be a better word, but lets hear what you think.

Image Clinic

Too many astro forums tend to be too polite with people's images, everyone gets a pat on the back and good image etc etc and sometimes, lets be honest and blunt, some of em are awful! The thing is, the guy who posted it now comes away having learned nothing about what he's got wrong. I'm not saying it's a fault of forums but I think maybe many of us don't want to hurt people's feelings or appear as the bad guy after many have told them it's a good image. I know I feel awkward when someone posts an image and half a dozen people have said it's good, and then I come along and say, "you' re not quite focused and you have onion ringing which you can fix by upping the gain and dropping the exposure a little to compensate, and you also need to do an RGB align in registax"

Now you can see where the misuse point comes in as some people would continually post in the section until they are turning images out like Damian Peach!

OR

Do we ask members for good examples of bad images, pick out the worst ones, say what's wrong and how to fix it, and put those into a section, a bit like a FAQ, then when someone posts an image that has any of the classic errors we can direct them to that part of the section that shows an example and how to fix it?

AND

When people turn out bad images or come across a set of circumstances that cause imaging errors and then find a solution, they then document it in said section along with all details/examples and description of what they did to fix it.

Hi, you are viewing as a guest, You can only see this first post in this topic. if you sign up you get access to other goodies you can't even see as a guest, including video tutorials on imaging and processing, scope modifications and even member discounts on gear!

So, give us a try, what have you got to lose! Oh, and if you stay, when you reach 50 posts you get access to MORE goodies! What are you waiting for!

Dion
Site Admin

Re: Another Section?

Postby Stewart » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:55 pm

Stewart
Planetary Nebula

Postby julianr » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:15 pm

julianr
Black Dwarf

Postby jmfdiver » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:24 pm