The Deep Sky Imaging Primer

The place for book recommends, reviews & suggestions.

The Deep Sky Imaging Primer

Postby Aussiedave » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:29 am

By Charles Bracken

Wasn't sure about this one but since opening I have to say I am very impressed.it is very well written and presents concepts and processes in a way which is easily understood but with enough new information to keep me interested.

Great for people new to this but also very useful for people who have been imaging for a couple of years as well! Covers DSLR as well as CCD with example workflows for each.

Organised into the following key areas

Understanding Images
Fundamentals such as how electronic sensors work and an interesting section on signal and noise.

Acquiring Images
from mount types to alignment, matching optics to sensors, a very good section on scope designs, image scale etc
Auto guiding, focus including definitions of critical focus points
Then onto atmospheric effects which was interesting and diagnosing issues with images.

Processing images
There is a detailed section on calibration which includes an excellent walkthrough example using deep sky stacker . A few light bulb moments there for me, as well as in other areas

The Post processing section was well done, very clearly presented, going from initial linear stretches through to noise reduction and final image composition.

The majority of the post processing is shown using Pshop but there is a very light discussion on pix insight. There is a useful table of commonly used software and where you would use it as well.

Will be going back to this a few times I think. Definitely some things to think about and try out.

Cheers

Hi, you are viewing as a guest, You can only see this first post in this topic. if you sign up you get access to other goodies you can't even see as a guest, including video tutorials on imaging and processing, scope modifications and even member discounts on gear!

So, give us a try, what have you got to lose! Oh, and if you stay, when you reach 50 posts you get access to MORE goodies! What are you waiting for!

Aussiedave
Black Dwarf

Re: The Deep Sky Imaging Primer

Postby martin_h » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:48 pm

martin_h
Black Dwarf

Postby Gedan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:51 pm

Gedan
Black Dwarf

Postby swag72 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:08 pm