A Year Later

For all your posts about observing stars and fuzzy bits!

A Year Later

Postby Nightspore » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:56 pm

Last year due to ‘The Beast From The East’ the first time I managed to take a scope outside in 2018 was on Sunday, March the 25th. I watched a twilight Moon up until about transit with my 102mm Sky-Watcher SkyMax. In 2019 things are noticeably different, and definitely warmer. Exactly one year later I got to take another 102mm scope out on the same AZ5 mount. 

This time the Moon wouldn’t rise until about midnight so I took out my modified ST102 for some rich field viewing. For simplicity I only took four eyepieces out with me. These were a 31mm Baader Hyperion Aspheric, a 19mm TeleVue Panoptic, a 14mm Baader Morpheus and a 9mm Celestron X-Cel LX. The X-Cel was primarily to observe M42 at 55.5x before it became too low for me to view. I had set up by 21:30 GMT, the transparency wasn’t as good as I would have liked and the seeing was about Antoniadi II. So, more or less average for the time of year. The high humidity contributed to the transparency but it was more or less a cloudless sky.

M42 was up first with the 9mm X-Cel. The nebula itself wasn’t so defined as it was rapidly sinking in the west. The Trapezium was pretty good though even though the seeing wasn’t the best. I swapped the X-Cel for the 31mm Baader Aspheric and about four and a half arc degrees of field of view for around 16x magnification. All three stars of Orion’s Belt could be fitted into the FOV and the serpentine ‘S’ of Cr 70 was easily seen. The Cr 69 cluster was next followed by Cr 65. I moved on to Taurus and the Hyades, NGC 1746 and M45. The Perseus Double Cluster was easily found then M103 and Caroline’s Rose. In Cassiopeia I always look for NGC 457/ Caldwell 13 aka the Owl Cluster. It’s one of my favourite objects and was discovered by William Herschel in 1787. I turned to sweep Leo and Cancer. M44 was quite spectacular, although I’m still not sure why it’s often called the ‘Beehive’. I found the ‘Hunting Dogs’ of Boötes and Cor Caroli. As the transparency seemed to be getting a bit dodgy Berenice’s Hair proved less immediate. It’s normally a naked eye object for me but after a little bit of sweeping I found it.

I’d spent over an hour with the 31mm Aspheric. This and the 36mm version are possibly among my most used eyepieces. I decided to give the 14mm Morpheus (The Dalek) a bit of a spin in Ursa Major and observed M51, M63 and M94. Finally, at around 23:30 I had a last look at the Perseus Double Cluster and Caldwell 13 with The Dalek, then decided to call it a night.

Hi, you are viewing as a guest, You can only see this first post in this topic. if you sign up you get access to other goodies you can't even see as a guest, including video tutorials on imaging and processing, scope modifications and even member discounts on gear!

So, give us a try, what have you got to lose! Oh, and if you stay, when you reach 50 posts you get access to MORE goodies! What are you waiting for!

Last edited by Nightspore on Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nightspore
Planetary Nebula

Re: A Year Later

Postby Nightspore » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:00 pm

Nightspore
Planetary Nebula

Postby Nightspore » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:00 pm

Nightspore
Planetary Nebula

Postby Nightspore » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:02 pm