Mars at long last

Discussion on planetary observations

Mars at long last

Postby Space Oddity » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:16 pm

Hi,
Cumbria's been pretty grim for astronomy for months now. In fact, where I live, I haven't seen anything to get excited about since Ganymede's transit of Jupiter way back in January (or was it December?).

Stubbornly refusing to accept any of the laws of physics I have pointed the scope in the general direction of the little red planet for weeks, seeing nothing but a blurred reddish disc through the haze and high cloud.

Then last night, I repeated the same optimistic performance and had almost given up when at 10:30 and for twenty minutes only, the fuzziness disappeared and at last I could see the darker details and even, quite clearly the polar icecap...result! It just goes to show that mindless intransigence is not a totally useless characteristic after all. Somehow, all the failures make such a triumph that much more valuable.

I hope other people manage to succeed with the planet, too. Fingers crossed for you if you haven't seen it clearly yet!

Hi, you are viewing as a guest, You can only see this first post in this topic. if you sign up you get access to other goodies you can't even see as a guest, including video tutorials on imaging and processing, scope modifications and even member discounts on gear!

So, give us a try, what have you got to lose! Oh, and if you stay, when you reach 50 posts you get access to MORE goodies! What are you waiting for!

Space Oddity
Nebula

Re: Mars at long last

Postby patthehorse » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:54 am

patthehorse
Black Dwarf

Return to OBSERVATION: PLANETARY