Xmas Mercury Rising

Discussion on planetary observations

Xmas Mercury Rising

Postby Nightspore » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:56 pm

I couldn't resist observing a very bright Venus with my Orion 90mm StarMax at around 06:00 GMT. The seeing and transparency seemed above average for the time of year and I could easily see quite a few stars. The Venusian phase was readily apparent at 50x, 69x, 89x, 100x and 125x. I used two plane polarising filters (diagonal & eyepiece).

I watched Venus steadily for about half an hour when with my naked eye I noticed an orange-pink blob low in the plane of the ecliptic. I knew Mercury was in this vicinity. For a moment I wondered if it was an aeroplane but then realised, with great anticipation and excitement, it was indeed the elusive Mercury! At 50x (25mm BST StarGuider) and a single polarising filter I strained to see the phase. Just over 65% is illuminated at a visual magnitude of -0.4. At this low altitude (barely 3 ~ 4°) Mercury was bubbling away in the atmosphere (Antoniadi III ~ IV?).

As it rose higher the 'bubbling' settled slightly enabling me to up the magnification to around a hundred (167x for a brief period) although most of the session was at 89x with a 60° Bresser 'Plossl'. The phase did become more distinct but I could also see a very bright white area that seemed to be in the Apollonia region. I believe this is an albedo feature. It certainly contrasted the dark orange colour of the planet. I observed Mercury until about 07:00 when by this time the dawn sky had bleached all colour out of it.

I'd tried and failed to see Mercury during evening twilight sessions in the spring. I knew there was a chance of seeing it this morning but it all depended on the weather, just like during spring. Due to inclement conditions I missed the dichotomy on the 11th and yesterday's greatest elongation west. So I'm double happy to catch it this morning. This was certainly a nice early Christmas present.

Hi, you are viewing as a guest, You can only see this first post in this topic. if you sign up you get access to other goodies you can't even see as a guest, including video tutorials on imaging and processing, scope modifications and even member discounts on gear!

So, give us a try, what have you got to lose! Oh, and if you stay, when you reach 50 posts you get access to MORE goodies! What are you waiting for!

Nightspore
Planetary Nebula

Return to OBSERVATION: PLANETARY