Trying to pick up where I left off five years ago

Got a problem? Need Some help? We don't have the A Team but our users will try!

Trying to pick up where I left off five years ago

Postby SpaceJunkie » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:46 pm

Hi Everyone, I've got some basic questions about imaging on a shoestring budget.

Now that I'm retired it should be much more practical for me to return to astronomy after a five year hiatus. Just got too tough to report to work with only 2 hours sleep as I was hired from the neck up.

Now in the present, I am left with no disposable income. I won't be purchasing any pricey imagers, software, etc. My main equipment is in my signature. I have a good selection of eyepieces and filters. My goal is to attempt astrophotography with the modest equipment I own. It's good I'm not expecting top notch results compared to what I see posted by the pros. My biggest hurdle is the north star is not visibly accessible from where my only feasible viewing location is. Due to my age and weight of the equipment I can't relocate the stuff. As it is, I use Scope Buggies to move the scopes through my yard.

Is drift alignment a solution and/or is there a better one?

For AP, I will be using a William Optics GT81, Orion EQ-G mount, non-motorized filter wheel, field flattener/reducer, and StarShoot G3 mono CCD, but don't have a clue how to connect it to the scope. I also have a StarShoot auto guide and focuser motor for fine tuning. Is there an eyepiece involved or does everything just connect straight into the scope with no eyepiece? Although that sounds like a stupid question, I can't find any info on how to go about this. I'd like to know in what order everything is connected to the scope?

I have a 2012 era notebook running Win10. I'd like to hear opinions (despite what is said about opinions) on what and which software I need. Free is good, but everything I need probably isn't free, but price is an object!

Well, if I can get these questions answered, and with the help of youtube, books etc, I might be able to get started and learn by mistakes!

Stay tuned, I'm sure there will be more to come...Thanks!
Rich

Hi, you are viewing as a guest, You can only see this first post in this topic. if you sign up you get access to other goodies you can't even see as a guest, including video tutorials on imaging and processing, scope modifications and even member discounts on gear!

So, give us a try, what have you got to lose! Oh, and if you stay, when you reach 50 posts you get access to MORE goodies! What are you waiting for!

SpaceJunkie
Nebula

Re: Trying to pick up where I left off five years ago

Postby carastro » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:53 pm

carastro
Black Dwarf

Postby SpaceJunkie » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:08 pm

SpaceJunkie
Nebula

Postby julianr » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:56 pm