Crescent Moon - 13th October 2010

Discussion and pics regarding lunar imaging.

Crescent Moon - 13th October 2010

Postby richufc » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:21 pm

This is my first ever pic and I'm quite chuffed with how it turned out. Looking at some of the other pics on the forum I realise my lunar imaging may have some way to go but this has to be a solid start!

Taken with my 2nd hand Meade etx70 I got from Ebay on the weekend - still getting used to the scope but loving the autofind feature. The vid was shot using my SPC900NC which arrived in the post today (Excellent ebay feedback left :-D ) using exactly the same settings as the tutorial (10 frames/sec for 90 seconds) and processed in Registacks following closely along with Dion's

Many thanks to Dion for his help with the camera and the great tutorials on the site. Registacks looked very intimidating at first but your walkthrough made the image processing bit very straightforward and rewarding.

One slight problem I did have when inserting the camera is with the focusing. On my scope the camera doesn't go all the way into the eyepiece holder and therefore the focus has to be cranked a fair way from the standard lens setting. In fact for the moon vid for the above photo I cranked it literally as far as it could go and the dial wouldn't move anymore! Has any one else had similar problems? I think shaving a bit off the filter would give me some more focussing leeway but was wondering if there might be another solution? I still need to get a IR/UV filter so when I get one of these will defintely be looking for a thin one without the extra bit of plastic sticking out that my moon filter has.

Anyway, thanks for looking...might try Jupiter tomorrow night, weather permitting and if I'm feeling ambitious!

Hi, you are viewing as a guest, You can only see this first post in this topic. if you sign up you get access to other goodies you can't even see as a guest, including video tutorials on imaging and processing, scope modifications and even member discounts on gear!

So, give us a try, what have you got to lose! Oh, and if you stay, when you reach 50 posts you get access to MORE goodies! What are you waiting for!

richufc
Nebula

Re: Crescent Moon - 13th October 2010

Postby Dion » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:56 pm

Dion
Site Admin

Postby richufc » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:18 pm

richufc
Nebula

Postby Dion » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:12 pm