Aligning scope using Stellarium

The base for all our tutorials, be it how to polar align or master astro imaging

Moderators: hawk_eye1975, budgetastro, martin_h

TUTORIALS SECTION

This section is only for the posting of actual tutorials, either single post or multiple, to ask questions or comment on a tutorial, please use the TUTORIAL DISCUSSIONS section where you will find a topic titled for each topic posted here, it just helps stop the topics becoming convoluted and lets the tutorials flow properly. If you post a tutorial, please also post a topic into TUTORIAL DISCUSSIONS with the same title.

Thanks.

Aligning scope using Stellarium

Postby Aardvark » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:02 pm

Open up Stellarium and it will communicate with EQascom programme via "Stellarium Scope programme". Click on your first align star, say Deneb, and with the Stellarium window active press the keys "Ctrl+1" together. The scope will now slew to target (Deneb). Now by using the up and down arrow keys in EQascom adjust scope position until you see Deneb in the cross-hair of your finderscope or Red Dot Finder (you still need a finder of some description). Now check the image in your camera or CCD and center in Field Of View (FOV), I use a CCD with Nebulosity and center using the software reticule generated by Nebulosity. Once you have completed the fine adjustment make Stellarium window active, then press "Ctrl+3" keys. This sets the alignment in Stellarium which then passes the information back to EQascom. EQascom registers the align points in a folder which you can look at if you wish. You can also clear the align points after each session, if you setup each night they will only be valid for the setup and alignment you've just done.

What I have described is how to align to one star (Deneb was the example), you then repeat the process as many times as you wish, but three widely spaces stars are usually sufficient (i.e. Deneb, Vega, Altair). I would then slew to a recognisable star close to target and do an alignment on it, this will ensure that the goto is fairly accurate and only a minimal adjustment for framing image will be needed. It is good practice to align close to target even if a multi star alignment has already been done. A good description of how the triangulation process used by EQascom is given in the EQMOD manual HERE.

Hi, you are viewing as a guest, You can only see this first post in this topic. if you sign up you get access to other goodies you can't even see as a guest, including video tutorials on imaging and processing, scope modifications and even member discounts on gear!

So, give us a try, what have you got to lose! Oh, and if you stay, when you reach 50 posts you get access to MORE goodies! What are you waiting for!

Aardvark
Global Moderator

Return to TUTORIALS