Night Sky Week

The place to kick back and talk about anything astronomy related that doesn't fit into other categories.

Night Sky Week

Postby rwillits » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:09 pm

I had a chance to participate in a first of what may be an annual event. Night Sky Week with Starry Skies Lake Superior IDA and Sky Glow Project. It was in my nearest large city (110 miles away), Duluth. Duluth is on the west end of Lake Superior. It is a sea harbor 1,000 miles from the ocean. St Lawrence Seaway class vessels come from around the world to mostly collect grain. This was the first time that I set up on the sidewalk with my kit. It was a learning experience for me. I discovered that I am not setup to be mobile. I started early and finally got everything sort of working. It's a good thing that saturn was visible because everyone who came wanted to see Saturn. It also was easy to find.
What was very popular was my old Apple desk top computer, with a good large monitor. It was set up at the entrance to one of the events. The Apple was set to "Slideshow" and showed my astro-photos. There was a sign which stated that these were taken locally. Most of the people didn't know that a person could take photos of things like "galaxies". Astrophotography is something no one here does, or if they do, it has been kept a secrete. Two members of the local Astronomy club where interested in trying astrophotography and wanted to see my setup. That surprised me, because by Shed standards my images are mediocre. Perhaps mediocre is OK.
I am going to have to learn how to do a sidewalk setup. Suggestions and tips would be appreciated.

Hi, you are viewing as a guest, You can only see this first post in this topic. if you sign up you get access to other goodies you can't even see as a guest, including video tutorials on imaging and processing, scope modifications and even member discounts on gear!

So, give us a try, what have you got to lose! Oh, and if you stay, when you reach 50 posts you get access to MORE goodies! What are you waiting for!

rwillits
Planetary Nebula

Re: Night Sky Week

Postby jjb2011 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:05 pm

jjb2011
Black Dwarf

Postby rwillits » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:00 am

rwillits
Planetary Nebula

Postby carastro » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:42 am