identifying non-linear meteors?

The place to kick back and talk about anything astronomy related that doesn't fit into other categories.

Re: identifying non-linear meteors?

Postby NWT Ron » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:44 pm

Morning Richard,
i figure that there are roughly 20,000 people here in Yellowknife. The phone book for the entire NWT is likely smaller than the one for Thunder Bay, ON. I've been through the Lake of the Woods (aka Moosilvania on the the Rocky & Bullwinkle show) area many times years ago, my parents would travel from eastern Ontario to Winnipeg and the route would vary from year to year.

So far I haven't had much luck identifying these anomalies, sadly the "Ask an Astronomer" feature on the RASC site didn't help. The astronomer's reply was that I'd photographed fireflies. Online habitat maps say that fireflies are not found west of Kansas, never mind north of 60 degrees.

As these photos were taken close to solar midnight, and with a little bit of aurora in the background I was wondering if (assuming they're meteors) if the steeper angle of the magnetosphere may have warped the meteor trail.

I have yet to try winter meteor photography. Not quite twenty years ago, when living in Newfoundland, I built the tracking table. the cooler night air there caused condensation to form on the lens, a bit problem that was finally solved with home made heated collars around the lens. My experience here in Yellowknife has been much better, no condensation at all.

As I'm still a couple of years from retirement I'd better move on to getting ready for work. Thanks for taking a look at the images, I'd like to know what you think.

Ron

Hi, you are viewing as a guest, You can only see this first post in this topic. if you sign up you get access to other goodies you can't even see as a guest, including video tutorials on imaging and processing, scope modifications and even member discounts on gear!

So, give us a try, what have you got to lose! Oh, and if you stay, when you reach 50 posts you get access to MORE goodies! What are you waiting for!

NWT Ron
Nebula

Postby rwillits » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:04 am

rwillits
Planetary Nebula

Postby NWT Ron » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:52 pm

NWT Ron
Nebula

Postby rwillits » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:03 am