I found an astronomer

The place to kick back and talk about anything astronomy related that doesn't fit into other categories.

I found an astronomer

Postby rwillits » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:51 am

Hello Shed :). I spent last night with Bob King "Astro Bob" ( .https://astrobob.areavoices.com/ ) The sky was perfect and he set up his 16" Dobsonian telescope. It was manual and he could move it around the sky with ease. Whatever was in the sky, he could find quickly. I said that I wanted to see an asteroid and he found one (somewhere in his car is an up to date chart or on the cell phone). I understand that there are two that are findable with a normal telescope. Bob is from Duluth, Minnesota (120 miles south), so he spent the night at our house. Now I have a friend who owns a telescope and lives near. "Near" is relative, depending where you live. He was in Ely to put on a "Dark Sky'" presentation. Mary and his wife are "Quilters". He ran the photo office for the Duluth News Tribune and was the regular editorial on what's in the night sky. He authored a few books like "WONDERS OF THE NIGHT SKY (you must see before you die)".
Bob can find his way around the night sky like Mary finds her way around the kitchen, and has never seen the need for a "goto". He has been retired for a few months and is thinking about AP. He has done some but not much. So, I have the equipment and we are planning to do some AP here this summer or when the sky is clear. It is about a two hour drive and I have a nice guest room. I may finally have a chance to pass on the learning that I acquired from all of you at the Astronomy Shed.

PS. Bob knows the name of every star with a name.

Hi, you are viewing as a guest, You can only see this first post in this topic. if you sign up you get access to other goodies you can't even see as a guest, including video tutorials on imaging and processing, scope modifications and even member discounts on gear!

So, give us a try, what have you got to lose! Oh, and if you stay, when you reach 50 posts you get access to MORE goodies! What are you waiting for!

rwillits
Black Dwarf

Re: I found an astronomer

Postby carastro » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:22 pm

carastro
Black Dwarf

Postby silentrunning » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:26 pm

silentrunning
Black Dwarf

Postby rwillits » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:57 pm