????????.....

The place to kick back and talk about anything astronomy related that doesn't fit into other categories.

????????.....

Postby rwillits » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:30 pm

:stick: Astro-imaging is a process of problem solving. We first buy a telescope then find something to put it on. First problem solved. Then we purchase a camera. Problem two, is how do we connect it to the telescope :doh:. All connected :) . With the help of many, many tutorials and many downloads, we can find the target and get the mount to follow it, (sort of). #3 cable connectors. many cable connectors and no one mentioned to mark them when we get them. They look the same but are wired different (maybe). Problem #4 is to sort out problem #3. We now have several devices, connected by a spaghetti of wires, connected to our laptop with a dozen different programs from a dozen different countries which will all work together( ?? ). Problem #5 is how we do all this in the dark. After several false starts we finally have every thing working and get a picture which is totally black. Back to the multitude of tutorial to find out what "stretch" means. I'm not sure what it does, but I have to do it to see the fruits of my labor. With problem #6 over, I then push the "stretch" button :praying: and there it is.
:razzle: :happydance2: :happydance: :mexwave: , A picture of what I have never been able to see through my eye piece. I can't believe that I did this, and now problem #7. I have to show someone, someone who actually cares. To my surprise there are those who want to see it. those who understand how much that I have accomplished. Problem #7, is not actually a problem at all. They should all be this easy.
Now the really, really frustrating problems, #8 Getting consistently good focus :rage:, #9 reliable tracking :rage: , #10 plate solve that works (always) :rage:, #11 Collimating your equipment :rage: , #12 is all the things that I forgot about. I also didn't mention #1a, #1b, #2c, etc.
The ultimate problem is #13 PROCESSING YOUR IMAGE. This is where some of us will never get it close to being right. I :applause: those who never give up.

Hi, you are viewing as a guest, You can only see this first post in this topic. if you sign up you get access to other goodies you can't even see as a guest, including video tutorials on imaging and processing, scope modifications and even member discounts on gear!

So, give us a try, what have you got to lose! Oh, and if you stay, when you reach 50 posts you get access to MORE goodies! What are you waiting for!

rwillits
Planetary Nebula

Re: ????????.....

Postby swag72 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:48 am

swag72
Black Dwarf

Postby galileo » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:12 am

galileo
Black Dwarf

Postby carastro » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:19 am